Xylem and its operating divisions and subsidiaries (collectively “Xylem”) maintain and operate this and other web sites (collectively the “Xylem Sites”) and are sensitive to privacy issues on the Internet. Accordingly, Xylem believes that you should know our online information practices, the kinds of information we may collect and how we intend to use this information.
For each visitor to a Xylem Site, we automatically collect the visitor’s domain name and/or their IP address.
If you communicate with us by e-mail, we will collect your e-mail address; otherwise, personally identifiable information is only collected on Xylem Sites if you voluntarily choose to provide it. Such personally identifiable information may include your name and/or that of your employer, address, telephone number and e-mail address. If we are requesting personally identifiable information, we will try to let you know how we will use the information at the time we collect it from you, but before you provide it to us.
The information collected may be aggregated to analyze what pages visitors access, the number of visits, average time spent on the site, etc. The aggregated information is utilized to improve the design and content of the Xylem Sites. Usually the personally identifiable information we collect is used to respond to the visitor’s inquiry, but in some instances, it may be used for market research or to provide you with information about our own or related goods or services that we believe support your business needs.
We may make this information available to our distributors, sales representatives or other business affiliates so that they may respond to a visitor’s inquiry or provide information about our own or related goods or services that we believe support your business needs. Alternatively, Xylem Sites may provide links to the web sites of our distributors, sales representatives or other business affiliates and, while we believe they have high standards and respect for privacy, we are not responsible for the content or privacy practices they employ.
Xylem will not sell to third parties any personally identifiable information derived from a visitor’s visit to or use of a Xylem Site except as part of the sale of a subsidiary or of all or substantially all of the assets of an operating division, which subsidiary or division collected or uses such information in the ordinary course of business.
You should be aware that:
- If we are requested to disclose personal information by law, court of law, or as requested by a governmental or law enforcement authority, we may do so.
- We may pass your personal information or details of your use of the web site to other companies within the Xylem group of companies.
- We may share information as necessary to prevent fraud or other illegal activities, such as willful attacks on Xylem’s information technology systems, and as necessary to establish or preserve a legal claim or defense.
With respect to security: We use industry-standard encryption technologies when transferring and receiving consumer data exchanged with our site. We have appropriate security measures in place in our physical facilities to protect against loss, misuse or alteration of information that we have collected from you at our site. We cannot, however, guarantee the security of any such information.
Cookies and Web Beacons
In addition to a domain name and/or IP address, Xylem may collect information about you automatically when you visit our website(s). The information that we collect and share is anonymous and not personally identifiable. It does not contain your name, address, telephone number, or email address.
This information tells us such things as how many users visited our site and the pages they have accessed. By collecting this information, we learn how to best tailor our website(s) for our current and future visitors.
To collect this information, we use a number of different analytics, media optimization tools, analytics tags and pixel tracking activity through ‘cookie’ technology or with ‘web beacons,’ as explained below:
- Session Cookies
- Also called a transient cookie, a session cookie stores information about a user on its temporary memory so that it can remember something about you when you are visiting that site. Session cookies do not collect information from your computer and are erased when you close your Web browser.
- Persistent Cookies
- Also called a permanent cookie, or a stored cookie, a persistent cookie collects identifying information about the user including web-surfing behavior and user preferences for a specific website. Persistent cookies are set with an expiration date and stored on your hard drive until it expires or until you delete from your computer.
- Session Cookies
In some instances, cookies may enhance your online experience by saving your preferences while you are visiting a particular site. Most Internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but usually you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance altogether if you prefer. Please be advised that if you choose to not allow browser cookies, you may not be able to take full advantage of all the website features offered by Xylem.
- Certain pages on our website(s) contain ‘web beacons’ also known as internet tags, pixel tags and clear GIFs. A web beacon is a small graphic image placed on the web page designed to allow Xylem to monitor incoming traffic and obtain information such as the IP address of the computer that downloaded the page on which the beacon appears as well as the URL of the page, the time the page was viewed, the type of browser used to view the page, and the information in cookies set by the third party. We also use web beacons to recognize a unique cookie on your web browser, which enables us to learn which advertisements brought you to our website(s).
In order to help gather more information about site usage, xyleminc.com and its affiliated sites use advertising, analytics, media cookies and tags powered by tools such as Yahoo, Google, Adobe, Omniture, Rubicon and others.
Google uses this information for the purpose of evaluation activity, compiling website reports and providing other services relating to website activity usage. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google’s behalf.
To reiterate, the information collected by all cookies and web beacons is not personally identifiable. It includes general information about your computer settings, your connection to the Internet, the operating system and platform, IP address, your browsing patterns and timings of browsing on the site and geographical location. It does not contain your name, address, telephone number, or email address.
By using this website and affiliated Xylem websites, you consent to the processing of data in the manner and for the purposes set out above.